Korean Twisted Donuts.
Ingredients of Korean Twisted Donuts
- It’s of all purpose flour for doughnuts, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting.
- You need of butter.
- Prepare of dry yeast (about 2¼ teaspoons: 7 grams).
- It’s of white sugar.
- You need of milk.
- It’s of egg.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of corn oil for frying.
- It’s of Coating.
- You need of cinnamon powder.
- You need of white sugar.
Korean Twisted Donuts step by step
- Make the coating Add 2-3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon powder to a brown paper bag. Shake to mix well. Set aside..
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add milk, sugar, and salt. Mix well until everything is well dissolved. Crack an egg into the saucepan and mix well. Add the yeast and stir. Let it sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is foaming..
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add 3 cups flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. When everything is well mixed, use your hand to knead the dough for a few minutes, and shape it into a big lump. Cover with plastic wrap and let it double in size. (60-90 minutes)..
- Deflate the gas with your hand and knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s soft and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap again and let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour until it doubles in size again..
- Uncover the dough and knead it for a few minutes. Put 2 tablespoons of flour on the corner of your cutting board to use for dusting. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. (40g for each).
- Take a piece of dough and roll it out on your cutting board so it forms a rope 10 inches long and ½ inch in diameter. If it’s sticky, sprinkle some flour on the area you’re working in. When you roll out the dough, move one hand upward and the other downward so that the rope is twisted in between your hands as you roll it. Take the dough off the board, hold it aloft, and bring the ends together. The tension in the dough will twist it as it hangs..
- Place the twisted dough on a floured cutting board or tray. Repeat with the rest of the pieces of dough. Let the doughnuts expand for about 30 minutes. 15 minutes in, gently flip each doughnut over with your hands so the bottoms don’t get flat and all sides expand nice and round..
- Heat up 4 inches of oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat, until the temperature reaches 350° F. Lower the heat to medium heat, then gently set each doughnut into the hot oil by hand. Cook for about 5 minutes, occasionally gently flipping them over with tongs, until they get crunchy outside and are evenly golden brown..
- Strain the cooked doughnuts. Put them in the brown paper bag with the sugar cinnamon mixture. Shake a few times until they are evenly coated. This is best done when the doughnuts are still warm. Repeat this with all the doughnuts until they are all cooked and coated..
- Best served with a cup of tea or coffee..