Sheree's Garlic Naan (Indian flat bread).
Ingredients of Sheree's Garlic Naan (Indian flat bread)
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Active yeast.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of very warm water.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of ALL PURPOSE FLOUR.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 2 tbsp of greek yogurt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of milk.
- You need 2 tsp of ghee or veggie oil.
Sheree's Garlic Naan (Indian flat bread) instructions
- in small ceramic or glass bowl… mix sugar, yeast, warm water and allow to sit for 15 minutes… should become foamy and smell like bread…(I thought it had a look and consistency of melted vanilla ice cream!!).
- while u r waiting put flour, salt, garlic powder, baking powder in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly …
- make a well or indent in the middle of the flour mixture…. and pour in yeast mixture… yogurt… milk…and the oil… .and mix well with hand or wooden spoon.
- the GREEK YOGURT add such a great texture and taste to the bread.!!!!.
- u may need to add more milk until dough forms a ball that seperates from the edge of the bowl…
- LIGHTLY…. oil the edges and bottom of the bowl ..( I took the dough out and used the same bowl… I put a very small amount of oil and oiled bottom and sides).
- put the dough back in dough and roll it around to coat dough with oil..
- cover the bowl with plastic wrap… I use a large rubber band around the edge of bowl to seal it…. out dough in a dark warm place… I just set it inside my microwave ….
- let dough rest for 30 minutes – 3 hours…..
- dough should double… knead for about 5-10 minutes. dough should be smooth..
- seperate dough into 4 equal pieces .. I lightly flour your surface and rolling pin…. my GM just used an old glass bottle for a rolling pin. I have a wooden rolling pin.. rub whatever your using with flour…..
- I press the dough by hand and then roll out each piece to the size of a salad plate……
- I allow them to sit while I prepare grill. they can also be baked….
- **** GRIDDLE….. put a very small amount of oil on the griddle… then take a piece of paper towel to spread oil lightly…. heat should be Med/ high.. when griddle is hot begin cooking naan…. each piece will puff up and resemble the surface of the moon… flip over and cook just about 1-2 minutes on the second side. remove from the griddle and liberally apply melted butter..(I use a paint brush I bought at Walmart ).
- **** BAKING….. on a cookie sheet put non stick spray on cookie sheet…. place in oven to get warm place bread in cookie sheet at 425°??? again surface should resemble the surface of the moon… u will need to just watch it. because everyone's stove is different… it should be golden. for those of u who must have a time 10-12 minutes…. liberally cover each naan with butter ….
- SERVE WARM…..