Ingredients of Scalloped Potatoes
- Prepare of baby potatoes or 2 lbs russet potatoes.
- It’s of flour.
- You need of shallots.
- Prepare of garlic.
- You need of white wine.
- Prepare of chicken stock.
- You need of whole milk.
- Prepare of nutmeg.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- You need of 3 tbsp butter, divided.
- It’s of Cheese (blue, mozzarella, parm) to top – optional.
Scalloped Potatoes instructions
- Make the roux. Dice shallots and mince garlic. Brown butter in a medium sauce pan. Sauté shallots until translucent; add garlic and cook gently (about 2 mins). Add flour and cook, whisking, until it’s light brown..
- Make the sauce. Add splash of wine to the roux; whisk until alcohol smell has cooked off. Add half the chicken stock and whisk to incorporate. Add milk. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer..
- Grease bottom and sides of a medium casserole pan. Thin slice potatoes. Melt 2 tbls butter in microwave. Place your first layer of potatoes (overlapping slightly) and brush with melted butter. Repeat for all the layers..
- Cover it all with your sauce. Optional: top with cheese..
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 1h. Remove cover. Cook uncovered for 40 mins. Finish with a quick broil..