Rich beef stew with dumplings. For the beef stew, heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef until browned on all sides. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further To serve, place a spoonful of mashed potato onto each of four serving plates and top with the stew and dumplings. Tender chunks of beef simmer for hours in a rich gravy with carrots and potatoes, then are topped with homemade dumplings.
Ingredients of Rich beef stew with dumplings
- Bereiten 800 g of diced beef.
- Es ist 150 g of smoked bacon.
- Bereiten 1 of large onion.
- Es ist 3 cloves of garlic.
- Bereiten 3 of carrots.
- Es ist 200 g of mushrooms (fresh wild mushrooms if you can get them button mushrooms if not).
- Es ist 12 of whole small salad potatoes.
- Es ist 200 g of beef suet.
- Du brauchst 400 g of self raising flour.
- Es ist of fresh thyme.
- Bereiten of olive oil.
- Du brauchst 250 ml of double cream.
- Du brauchst 1 of beef stock pot or fresh beef stock.
- Bereiten 500 ml of stout or other dark beer.
- Du brauchst 4 of bay leaves.
- Du brauchst to taste of salt.
- Bereiten 1 tsp of ground black pepper.
Add to the onion pan along with the vegetables, the Empty back into the casserole and bring to the boil on the hob. Top the stew with the dumplings and put into an. Rich Beef Stew with Parsley Dumplings. It is important to use a good stock for this recipe, as the stew has more sauce than usual in order to cook the dumplings.
Rich beef stew with dumplings Anleitung
- Chop the bacon into approx 2cm squares, the garlic resaonably coarsely and slice the onion..
- Fry the bacon in a large pan in some olive oil until it begins to brown..
- Add the onions and fry until translucent stirring all the time..
- In a very hot heavy bottomed frying pan or dutch oven sear the beef in batches..
- Add the beef and the garlic to the pan and stir thoroughly..
- Pour in the stout, bring to a simmer and turn the heat low..
- Add the broken up mushrooms,.
- The carrots.
- And the potatoes, top up with some water or beef stock, stir and bring back to a simmer. Add a stock pot if you don't use fresh beef stock..
- Add the bay leaves and a few sprigs of thyme, stir and simmer on a very low heat for 30 minutes. I tend to vary the herbs in this recipe. I find any combination of fresh thyme, sage, rosemary and oregano works..
- While the stew is simmering, make the dumplings. Mix the flour, the suet, some fresh thyme leaves and about 1/2 a tsp of salt together..
- Add water a little at a time stirring all the time until you have a soft dough mix..
- After simmering for 30 minutes, add the cream a little at a time stirring it in between each pour. Taste the stew at this stage and if needed add some salt. Add the pepper. You can get a more traditional stew by leaving out the cream..
- With a table or desert spoon, spoon in the dumpling mixture. Cover and simmer gently for another 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked throughout..
It can be eaten as a meal in itself, although stew lovers will probably want creamy mashed potatoes and peas. This beef stew with dumplings recipe is super simple and incredibly delicious! John Torode's crowd-warming beef stew is delicious and dead simple, from BBC Good Food. Pop the dumplings into the casserole dish, leave off the lid and return to the oven. This slow-cooked beef shin stew is rich and flavourful.