Pan Mee Soup.
Ingredients of Pan Mee Soup
- It’s 500 g of minced meat.
- You need 1/2 cup of minced garlic.
- You need 1/4 cup of dried chilies, sliced or chopped (if using flakes, try to find some with less seeds and more chili pieces).
- It’s 1/2 cup of minced onion.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms (preferably dried & soaked overnight. Reserve soaking liquid).
- It’s 1/2 cup of dried anchovies (I prefer to grind up the anchovies using a food processor. If not available, you can replace it with some fried bacon. Please adjust salt content accordingly).
- It’s 2 cups of pucuk manis (can be substituted with baby/round spinach).
- You need 2 of anchovy/fish bouillon cubes.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need To taste of soy sauce.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- Prepare To taste of white pepper.
- You need To taste of sugar.
- It’s of Optional: eggs/tofu.
- It’s of Egg/rice noodles.
Pan Mee Soup instructions
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of the oil in a soup pot. Stir fry 2 tbsp of garlic until fragrant then add the minced meat and 1/2 the anchovies. Sauté until cooked then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the meat is slightly browned. Season well with soy sauce and white pepper. You can add a few tablespoons of water/the soaking liquid from the mushrooms if it gets too dry. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside..
- In the pot with the remaining 1/4 cup of the mixture, add the bouillon cubes & 6 cups of water (you can also use the mushroom soaking liquid & top up water to get 6 cups). Allow the water to come to a boil and add spinach / pucuk manis. Cook for a few minutes until the color changes to a darker green, then turn off the heat and season the soup..
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil. It’s ok if it seems like a lot. Once hot,sauté onions and remaining anchovies and garlic until browned and slightly crispy. Add chili and sauté for a few minutes. Be prepared for the chili to make you cough! Season with soy sauce/salt/white pepper and sugar, if desired..
- To serve SOUP VERSION: you can either boil all the noodles in a separate pot and eat all immediately or ladle some of the soup into a separate smaller pot and boil them in individual servings. Boil the noodles in the soup and add an egg/some tofu to poach in once the noodles are almost done. Ladle the minced meat/chili on top as desired.
- To serve DRY version: boil the noodles separately and once cooked, immediately mix with the toppings – minced meat & chili. You can poach an egg and add it on top.