South Africa Milk Tart ("Melktert"). "My 'ouma' South African grandmother's legendary milk tart. The recipe is a real winner. Reviews for: Photos of South African Melktert (Milk Tart).
Ingredients of South Africa Milk Tart ("Melktert")
- You need 1 liter of Milk.
- Prepare 1 can of Condensed Milk ( sweetened).
- You need 3 large of Eggs.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of Cake wheat flour.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of Maizena.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Custard powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- It’s 200 grams of Tennis biscuits.
- It’s 125 grams of Margarine.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Margarine.
- It’s 1 dash of Cinnamon.
The name melktert means milk tart. The dish can be served either hot or cold, and it is recommended to sprinkle it with powdered cinnamon or cinnamon. The tart comes from a traditional south african recipe passed down from my grandma. Its a decadent dish that is creamy with a hint of cinnamon sugar on top.
South Africa Milk Tart ("Melktert") instructions
- Bring milk, 1 tablespoon margarine and condensed milk to a boil..
- Mix eggs and salt together.
- Add cake wheat flour, maizena, custard powder and vanilla essence to egg mixture.
- Add egg mixture to milk mixture on stove. Bring mixture to boil untill thick. (Watch out… burns easily).
- Prepare crust. Crush biscuits and add 125g molten margarine to biscuits. Roll and flatten crust in bowl.
- Pour mixture over crust and sprinkle with cinnamon. Let cool and enjoy..
Its similar in texture to a custard but has a little something extra from the sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top. South African Melktert – Milk Tart. South Africans expect to find melktert at supermarkets, bake sales, church events, bakeries, and celebrations. South African melktert is a milk tart that is rich creamy and delicious. A perfect dessert recipe for any occasion that is surprisingly easy to make.