Canadian Butter Tarts 🇨🇦 (Canada's favourite Dessert!).
Ingredients of Canadian Butter Tarts 🇨🇦 (Canada's favourite Dessert!)
- Prepare of — Pastry Shell —.
- It’s 256 grams of all-purpose flour (2 cups).
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 190 grams of shortening (1 cup).
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- It’s 30 ml of cold water (2 tablespoons).
- It’s 15 grams of white vinegar (1 tablespoon).
- It’s of — Filling —.
- Prepare 100 grams of brown sugar (1 cup).
- It’s 75 grams of maple syrup (1/4 cup).
- It’s 42 grams of butter (3 tablespoons).
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vinegar.
- You need 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup of pecans (you can substitute crushed walnuts if you like).
Canadian Butter Tarts 🇨🇦 (Canada's favourite Dessert!) step by step
- In a large bowl, sift together the flower and salt, and cut in the shortening with two knifes until you have pieces the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients together (egg, cold water, and vinegar).
- With the dry ingredients, make a 'well' in the center, and add the wet mixture. Fluff this with a fork until just mixed (Do not overmix!).
- In the bowl, press the combined mixture flat, and fold in half (repeat 3 or 4 times).
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface, until it's about 1/4-inch thick, or a little less. Now cut into circles a few inches across (you can use a cookie cutter, or a glass), and press them lightly to a cupcake tray..
- Now we can start on the Filling!.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and syrup. Once combined, add the egg, vanilla, vinegar, salt and crushed pecans. Pour into the pastry shells.
- Cook for 8 minutes at 230 C (450 F), and then reduce the heat to 175 C (350F F) for another 15-18 minutes until the filling is set..