Sig's German style stuffed cabbage rolls with creamy mash. This simple recipe for German stuffed cabbage rolls or kohlrouladen is the quintessential German comfort Brown the cabbage rolls on two sides in the bacon fat. Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. Roll a ball of meat mixture and place in.
Ingredients of Sig's German style stuffed cabbage rolls with creamy mash
- Bereiten 1 of medium to large Savoy or white cabbage.
- Du brauchst 1 of large pot of water.
- Es ist 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt or salt substitute.
- Du brauchst 450 gr of minced mix of beef and pork.
- Bereiten 1 of good pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper each.
- Es ist 1 of good sprinkling of thyme.
- Du brauchst 1 of good sprinkling of paprika powder (sweet if you have).
- Du brauchst 1 of large egg.
- Du brauchst 1-2 tablespoons of dried breadcrumbs/panko.
- Es ist 150 gr of bacon bits (I prefer smoked gives better flavoured gravy).
- Bereiten of Cabbage water.
- Bereiten of Gravy powder to thicken to your liking.
- Du brauchst 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Es ist Pinch of grated nutmeg for leftover cabbage.
This delicious dinner is a perfect home cooking recipe. German cabbage rolls (krautwickel) are a staple dish for many. Stuffed with meat and cooked until tender they are easy to make and very filling. #cabbagerolls #german #easy. Stuffed cabbage rolls are one of our favorite meals.
Sig's German style stuffed cabbage rolls with creamy mash Anleitung
- First, with a sharp knife cut away outer leaves that are not to your liking. Then make incisions into stalk to cut out a cone from stalk. Put the cabbage into a large pot of water with the 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. The cabbage should be almost covered with the water. Bring to boil, turn off and leave cabbage to stand for about 5 minutes in the water. Drain the cabbage very well. Set aside cabbage water. You need a little to simmer meatrolls and to make gravy later. (You can drink the rest.).
- In the meantime mix your meat mix (you can use leaner lamb, just not so lean beef or lean pork) with the thyme, egg, paprika, breadcrumbs or panko and salt and pepper and make 8 or 10 thin meat rolls. Don't knead to badly or the meat will become tough. Heat the bacon bits until crispy, remove from pan set aside, keep the pan with the fat, so you can cook the cabbage rolls in them..
- Carefully remove leaves from cabbage. Put a single roll of meat sideways over each stalk end (cut a little from stalk if it is to thick) then roll a little, tack the sides in and roll over. Do this with all meatrolls you have.You can secure the rolls with string. Put all the rolls into bacon pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Very slightly brown, add a little cabbage water to simmer for 15 to 20 min until meat is cooked. Remove from pan, keep warm. In meantime make mashed potatoes to your liking..
- Shred up the leftover cabbage, heat through with the remaining butter, season with nutmeg. Serve aside the cabbage.To make the gravy use the juices in the pan, add some of the cabbage juice and thicken with gravy powder. Pour gravy over mash and garnish with the bacon bits..
Long ago, a recipe was given to me by a German friend – she called it Halupki. There are many versions on the internet of stuffed cabbage rolls, with many different names. Some use combinations of different meats, add eggs, and some cook the. Our family recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls uses a filling of ground meat and rice and a thick tomato sauce flavored with sauerkraut and bacon. Forming the cabbage rolls is the only part of this recipe that requires a little practice, but armed with a few easy tips, you'll get the hang of it quickly.