Three Sisters Stew. Here's a great main dish option for Thanksgiving dinner. It's somewhat like chili, though more about the squash than beans. Corn, beans, and squash are full of healthy fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals – and when combined together become this delicious Three Sisters Stew.
Ingredients of Three Sisters Stew
- Bereiten of Hot soak.
- Du brauchst 8 cups of water.
- Es ist of Stew.
- Du brauchst 2-1/2 cup of dried pinto beans.
- Du brauchst 4 cups of winter squash.
- Es ist 2 ears of corn.
- Es ist 1 of large onion.
- Du brauchst 2 of medium carrots.
- Bereiten 2/3 pound of ground sirloin/buffalo/ venison either one.
- Es ist 1/4 pound of smoked bacon.
- Bereiten 48 ounces of beef broth.
- Bereiten To taste of salt.
- Bereiten 1 teaspoons of ground sage.
- Bereiten 1 teaspoons of whole leaf dried oregano.
- Du brauchst 1 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper.
- Bereiten 1 teaspoons of finely ground black pepper.
- Es ist of Fall apart/ fry Dumplings.
- Bereiten 1 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- Bereiten 1 tablespoon of molasses.
- Du brauchst 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Es ist 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Du brauchst 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Du brauchst 1/2 teaspoon of ground paprika.
- Du brauchst 1 teaspoon of ground sage.
- Es ist 2 of large eggs.
- Bereiten 1 teaspoon of double acting baking powder.
- Bereiten 1/4 cup of hot water.
- Bereiten 1 cup of self rising cornbread mix.
The three sisters—corn, squash and beans—merge into a delicious stew. The stew should be thick, but you may need to thin it slightly with vegetable stock or water. The stew should be thick and very moist but not soupy; add additional stock or water if needed. Sister's stew is a thick creamy white seafood stew the is served on the three islands known as the Three Sisters.
Three Sisters Stew Schritt für Schritt
- Wash and look the beans over remove any debris, bad beans, or stones. Add to a pot add 8 cups water. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Cover and turn off heat and let soak for 1 hour. Drain after an hour and rinse the beans. Add to a pot..
- While you wait peel and remove seeds from the winter squash. Save the seeds to plant or toast..
- Now that it is peeled slice and cube the squash..
- Remove the corn from the cob..
- Dice the bacon. Add the squash, beans, and corn to the broth..
- Add the spices, the wash, peel, and dice the carrots. Dice the bacon and add them to the stew. Rest of the ingredients are added now for the stew. Let simmer for 45 minutes..
- Everything is done..
- Now for the fall apart dumplings. Add all the ingredients except the hot water and cornbread mix. I had a 1/2 cup of hot water, but only used 1/4 cup. The more water I had it was easier to hold heat. Ease the water in till you use a 1/4 cup..
- Let rest 15 minutes so the baking powder and cornmeal can work keep covered. Add in the cornbread mix..
- It will tighten up just a bit. Spoon in the fall apart dumplings till you have about this much in the picture left. That's for frying. Add 2 cups of water to the stew to help it not burn or get too thick..
- Heat a skillet add the remaining mixture to the hot skillet and fry. When the bubble craters appear it's time to turn. Turn it, cover it for 3 minutes. Then just turn off the heat. Let rest in skillet covered till ready to eat. This will let it rise a bit and get done..
- Let the stew rest covered and off the heat. I added the fried dumpling to the bowl and dipped the stew on top. I hope you enjoy!.
It can be made with leeks, carrots, barley, turnips white and yellow, pepper, salt, clams, as well as chunks of cod and crabmeat in a stock of heavy cream and butter. My sisters and I got to hang out this past weekend. It was a fun and relaxing time and Par is the cutest thing ever. Anyway, my hair on my head was a guinea pig to a hairstyle. but I LOVED it! Prepare a hearty Native American stew featuring corn, squash, and beans!