Sig's Steak, Ale and Mustard Pie. Discover the secret ingredients that take the humble steak and ale pie to new levels. But, be warned: one slice just won't be enough. Tender pieces of steak are cooked with vegetables and English ale, then wrapped in a flaky buttery crust.
Ingredients of Sig's Steak, Ale and Mustard Pie
- Es ist 700 gr of best stewing steak, cubed.
- Es ist 250 gr of red onions, chopped.
- Es ist 500 ml of very dark ale or stout.
- Es ist 3 of knorr type beef stock cubes or 1-2 oxo type cubes, to taste.
- Es ist 6 cloves of smoked garlic, crushed.
- Bereiten 1 tablespoon of French mustard.
- Bereiten 1/2 teaspoon of creamed horseradish.
- Du brauchst 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Es ist 1/4 teaspoon of crushed black pepper.
- Bereiten to taste of Salt, optional.
- Bereiten 1 teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little cold milk or water.
- Bereiten 350 gr of shortcrust pastry.
- Bereiten 350 gr of puffpastry (or 700 gr shortcrust in total).
- Du brauchst 1 of whisked egg.
- Es ist of for shortcrust pastry.
- Es ist 250 gr of plain flour.
- Es ist Pinch of salt.
- Bereiten 115 gr of butter/ cold cubed.
- Bereiten 6 tablespoons of cold water.
Beer Braised Pot Roast, Welsh Rarebit, Sweet-ale-glazed Ham. Put the flour, baking powder and mustard powder in a bowl with ½ tsp salt. Stir in the fat, and then add enough iced water to bring it together. Individual steak pies with a mustard and cheddar cheese suet pastry, thick gravy and tender meat, from BBC Good Food.
Sig's Steak, Ale and Mustard Pie Schritt für Schritt
- Chop the meat into inch big cubes. Heat pan, sear the meat, add the onion..
- Either add into a slow cooker or cook over a long time on low temperature on stove top, add a little of the ale in pot on stove. This may foam up but will settle quickly. For cooking in slow cooker add a little of the ale into pan to get all the searing flavour of the bottom of pan then add this into the slow cooker with the meat. Either way add the rest of the ale and all the other ingredients except the salt and pastry. Only add the salt towards the very end for taste if needed..
- When the meat is almost falling apart turn of the slow cooker or the pot on the stove. Pour all the sauce into a small sauce pan, boil until reduced by half. Mix cornflour with about 3-4 level teaspoons of cold milk or water as desired add to the sauce to make a thick gravy. Add to the meat, let it cool down, or pastry might get soggy..
- You can make your own pastry or use shop bought pastry either is fine. Line the bottom of your pie dish with rolled out shortcut pastry, then egg wash the edges before you top with puff pastry or just shortcrust pastry.
- Crimp the pastry over and egg wash the pastry. Bake pie in preheated oven at 180 for about 25 to 30 minutes or until crispy golden brown. Enjoy.
- For the shortcrust pastry as it is easiest put the flour into a big bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that looks like breadcrumbs, there should be no lumps of butter left in the mix. Make sure it does not become to greasy..
- Add water just a little at a time to start binding the dough together. Then wrap the dough in kitchen wrap / cling film and put it into the fridge for about 20 minutes. Then roll out onto a lightly floured board as needed..
Steak, Dark Ale And Stilton Pie With Chuck Steak, Plain Flour, Garlic, Thyme, Black Peppercorns, Dark Ale, Shallots, Vegemite, Puff Pastry, Blue Cheese, Celery Salt, Egg. Steak and ale pie is one of Scotland's traditional dishes and can be found in most pubs. We've rounded up the best places in Scotland to savor the dish. Despite the efforts of today's artistic chefs to refine the meat pie for modern tastes, the classic steak and ale version outranks in popularity throughout. Beat an egg and brush all the exposed puff pastry with the egg wash.