Cream of Celery soup. A classic cream of celery soup. Like cabbage, celery is an oft neglected vegetable, prized for its place in a mirepoix, but rarely the star of the show. Celery soup, with a supporting cast of some onion, leeks, and a little cream, is utterly delicious, and the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day.
Ingredients of Cream of Celery soup
- You need of Soup stock.
- Prepare 1 bunch of celery.
- Prepare 2 of diced sweet onion.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of light margerine.
- You need 2 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 cup of white cooking wine.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt (optional).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- You need of Cream base.
- Prepare 2 cup of nonfat milk.
- Prepare 1 can of evaporated milk.
- You need 1/2 tsp of parsley.
- You need 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
With tons of celery leftover after updating this Lemony Kale & White Bean Soup. Simple Celery Soup – one the BEST recipes! If using cashew cream, adding a little splash of lemon juice, enlivens the soup. Sour cream and yogurt have a natural tanginess, so you may not.
Cream of Celery soup instructions
- Chop celery into small pieces. Use the entire bunch (~4 cups). Reserve the leaves for garnish..
- Chop onions into small chunks..
- Melt light margerine into a large saucepot or dutch oven. Add celery and onions and saute for ~5 minutes..
- Add wine, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes..
- While celery stock is on simmer, combine evaporated milk and skim milk and heat on low. Stir to keep from scalding..
- Remove celery stock from heat and let cool a few minutes. Run batches through a blender to puree the soup stock..
- Return pureed soup to pot and add cream base. Add parsley and nutmeg and simmer ~12 minutes..
- Serve hot garnished with a celery leaf, and a sprinkling of parsley or nutmeg..
- May be refrigerated for two days prior to serving..
This cream of celery soup is healthy, easy, fresh, delicious and light. It's naturally vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free (thanks to a little coconut milk). It's a good thing holidays are spaced out fairly evenly…so I have time to pile on the greens between the mounds of chocolate. Welcome to my version of balance. Imagine the aroma of home made cream of celery soup simmering on the stove.