Classic Ragù with Pasta.
Ingredients of Classic Ragù with Pasta
- It’s of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Prepare of medium onion, finely chopped.
- You need of large celery stalk, very finely chopped.
- You need of large carrot, peeled, very finely chopped.
- It’s of garlic, peeled and sliced.
- Prepare of ground beef (80-20).
- You need of ground pork.
- It’s of pancetta (or bacon), chopped.
- It’s of tomato paste.
- Prepare of dry red wine.
- You need of beef stock, divided.
- It’s of “roasted” red bell pepper, skinned, seeded, chopped.
- It’s of salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and thyme.
- It’s of basil.
- Prepare of whole milk.
- You need of fettuccine or bucatini pasta.
- Prepare of chopped parsley.
- Prepare of Finely grated Parmesan (for serving).
Classic Ragù with Pasta instructions
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the “soffritto” of onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Place vegetables in a bowl and set aside..
- Add ground beef, pork, and bacon; sauté, breaking up and turning with a large spoon, until browned. Add the vegetables to the pot and stir..
- Add tomato paste, mix well, and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add wine; boil 1 minute, stirring often and scraping up browned bits..
- Add 2 cups stock and the roasted pepper, stir to blend. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld, 1.5 hours. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and the basil..
- Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan; gradually add to sauce. Cover pot with lid slightly ajar and simmer over low heat. Stir occasionally until milk is absorbed, about 40 minutes. [Add more stock, 1/4-cupful to thin if needed].
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil in another pot. Season with salt and a splash of olive oil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until 1 minute before al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water..
- Transfer beef flavored ragù to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pasta and toss to coat. [Stir in some of the reserved pasta water by the tablespoonful if sauce seems dry] Heat through..
- Divide pasta among warm plates and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with Parmesan..