Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie.
Ingredients of Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
- You need 2 cups of peeled and cooked sweet potatoes.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of sugar, divided.
- It’s 1/2 stick of butter, melted.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ginger.
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- It’s 1 of 9in unbaked pie crust.
- Prepare 3 of egg whites.
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie instructions
- Preheat oven to 350..
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, 1 cup of sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and the spices..
- Incorporate well..
- Add the milk and continue mixing..
- Once mixed, pour into the pie crust..
- Bake for 45 minutes..
- When pie has 10 minutes left, begin the meringue..
- In a glass or copper bowl, (I use glass) beat the egg whites to soft peaks..
- Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar a tbsp at a time and beat well after each tbsp..
- Beat until stiff peaks form that are glossy and not dry..
- After 45 minutes, remove the pie from the oven..
- With a rubber spatula, transfer the meringue onto the pie. Make sure to touch the crust all around to cover completely..
- Place back in oven for 9-12 minutes to lightly brown the meringue..
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving..