New York Style Pizza Sauce.
Ingredients of New York Style Pizza Sauce
- It’s 1 of 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 medium of cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons, grated.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 pinch of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 of kosher salt.
- It’s 2 of sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached.
- It’s 1 medium of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
New York Style Pizza Sauce instructions
- Process tomatoes and the juice in food processor until pureed, or with hand blender. Should be smooth, set aside..
- Combine butter and oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about an hour. Remove onion and basil, discard..
- Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks..