Cast Iron Roman Pizza. My fool-proof recipe for a pan pizza with a deeply caramelized rim. Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this video! Go to Squarespace.com for a free trial.
Ingredients of Cast Iron Roman Pizza
- You need of Pizza Dough.
- Prepare 3.5 cups of flour.
- You need 0.5 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of salt.
- You need 1 packet of yeast.
- Prepare 1.5 cup of water.
- You need 2 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- You need Half of onion chopped.
- It’s 4 cloves of chopped garlic.
- You need of Red pepper flake.
- You need 28 ounce of San Mariano tomato can.
- Prepare 3 leaves of basil.
- You need 1 tablespoon of dried parsley.
- You need Half of can of water.
- It’s of Thyme.
- You need of Toppings.
- You need Half of a cup of shredded mozzarella.
- It’s 5 of basil leaves torn.
- You need of Drizzle of olive oil.
Great toppings for Cast Iron Skillet Pizza: Italian sausage links, cut into pieces, sweet sausage, hamburger, and various sliced vegetables such as onions and peppers. Forart Cast Iron Pizza Pan Cast Iron Round Bread Pizza Pan, Farmhouse Wine Barrel Top Serving Tray, Round Platter with Iron Handles. No specialized pizza stone or pans needed here, just your trusty cast iron skillet – which is a sustainability all-star for its humble nature, versatility, and If you don't have a trusty cast iron skillet, you can also use a cake pan. It explains the tricks for crispiness.
Cast Iron Roman Pizza instructions
- Add yeast to 95F to 100F water. Add sugar to activate for 15min..
- Combine the flour and salt in separate bowl..
- Once yeast mixture blooms. Create a well in the dry mix then add with olive oil..
- Mix bowl until it comes together. Pull together and knead on a lightly floured counter top for 5 to 10 minutes or until no clumps remain..
- Roll it into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl to proof at room temp for 6 hours minimum or overnight..
- After proofing, lightly knead to punch out air and divide dough into 8 pieces. Proof for an hour at room temp. For best results, cold proof in the fridge for three days.
- For sauce, add oil to a pan an add garlic, onion, and pepper flakes. Cook until garlic and onion are translucent..
- To a blender, add canned tomatoes with half its can in water with basil. Add the lightly roasted onion, garlic, and pepper flakes. Add dried parsley. Season to taste being mindful to slightly under salt to account for the cheese and dough..
- Blend for a few minutes or until completely pureed. Then simmer the sauce over the stove for 30 minutes..
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees..
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured counter until roughly 11in or just short of the diameter of your cast iron skillet..
- Heat up skillet before adding some olive oil. Then add the flattened dough..
- Once the bottom of the dough starts to brown. Add pizza sauce and some shredded mozzarella (with pre ove toppings) then place in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the outside of the crust browns..
- Remove after 15 or 20 minutes. Remove from skillet and add hand torn basil and a drizzle of olive oil (or whatever post oven toppings you want) before the pie cools..
To ensure an assertively crisp edge. I preheat it in the oven and this makes for a nice browned crisp crust. Cast-iron cookwares can be used at any temperature and it resists cracking when exposed to sudden changes in temperature. You can place any frozen item in a very hot cast iron pan without worrying, while pizza stones can't handle sudden temperature changes. After looking at hundreds of cast-iron pizza pans, we found ones that will create perfectly browned crusts, withstand very high temperatures, and.