PITTSBURGH PIEROGI PIZZA. Pierogies and Pittsburgh go together like air and breathing. Creamy potatoes mixed with cheeses and caramelized onions for one of the. Pierogi pizza is to Pittsburgh as apple pie is to America, ramen is to Japan, and cool sweaters are to But to really appreciate Pittsburgh's pierogi pizza, we need to understand the pierogi, and that.
Ingredients of PITTSBURGH PIEROGI PIZZA
- Prepare 2 of Pizza Shells.
- You need 2 lb of Baking Potatoes, cubed.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Salt.
- You need 1 pinch of black pepper.
- You need 1 large of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 stick of butter.
- It’s 8 oz of cheddar cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of mozzarella cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of provolone cheese, grated.
- You need 1 lb of bacon, crumbled.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of green onions, chopped.
Pierogies are a pretty big deal here in Pittsburgh. We even have pierogi races at PNC Park. There is a local restaurant that serves a pierogi pizza and I tasted it a few months ago. Stuff'd is Pittsburgh's only restaurant and bar dedicated to The Pierogi.
PITTSBURGH PIEROGI PIZZA step by step
- Boil pot of salted water. Add potatoes. Cook about 15 minutes until tender. Drain..
- Melt butter and milk in small saucepan..
- Slowly add melted butter and milk mixture to cooked potatoes as you blend them with a masher or electric mixer..
- Salt and pepper the mashed potatoes to taste..
- Saute onion in butter. Mix in potatoes and cheddar cheese. Refrigerate mixture..
- Coat pizza shells with olive oil than spread on potato mixture. Top with mixed mozzarella and provolone, bacon, green onions. Bake pizzas at 450 for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and dough is baked..
Pierogi pizza might be considered an American take on the Italian concept of cucina povera, or "poor kitchen" cooking. Pittsburgh, the second largest city in the Eastern state of Pennsylvania. Here are the eight best pierogies in Pittsburgh, ranked. McKees Rocks Pierogies Plus is king! Its pockets of delight are served all over the city from the swanky Meat & Potatoes to the Polish all-star.