Quick veggie and barley soup. Loaded with colorful vegetables and filling pearled barley, this Vegetable Barley Soup is a healthy, freezer-friendly staple recipe for winter! Some people find that potatoes change in texture slightly when frozen and thawed, but it's not. This garden veggie barley soup is loaded with a mix of fresh and frozen veggies and barley.
Ingredients of Quick veggie and barley soup
- It’s 1 cup of or so chopped celery.
- It’s 1 cup of or so chopped onion.
- You need 1 cup of or so chopped carrots.
- Prepare 1 cube of stock (I used Kallo garlic and herb).
- It’s 1/2 liter of water.
- You need 1 tbs of tomato paste.
- Prepare 3 tbs of chopped fresh dill.
- You need 1 tsp of dried celery seeds.
- Prepare 1/4-1/3 cup of Job's tears or barley (I used Job's tears).
- Prepare 1 tbs of or so olive oil.
- You need of Corn starch slurry (1 tbs each corn starch and water).
- It’s of To taste, salt and pepper.
If you're used to a more traditional beef and barley soup, go ahead and try this lower-fat and cholesterol-free version of. Barley, zucchinis, carrots, tomatoes, and corn combine to make this hearty, versatile, filling vegan soup that is just so easy to make in your Instant Pot®. Easy to change the veggies in this dish and make it your own. Adding beans spinach or lentils would all be great.
Quick veggie and barley soup step by step
- Rinse off barley or Job's tears, then put in a sauce pan and cover with water by a few inches. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 45 minutes or so (I cook the grain separately so it doesn't absorb all the liquid in the soup)..
- In a bowl, dissolve the stock cube in the 1/2 liter of water and set aside..
- In large sauce pan, saute the celery, onion, and carrots in the olive oil over medium heat..
- When the veggie mix is softened, add in the stock, tomato paste, and celery seeds. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer..
- After ten minutes, add the dill and the corn starch slurry. Stir to make sure the slurry is thoroughly mixed..
- Let the soup simmer another ten minutes or so until it achieves desired consistency (mine was thickened just a bit – runny but not watery)..
- Remove from heat and season to taste..
- When barley/Job's tears are done (should be mostly soft, maybe a little al dente), strain to eliminate excess water and then add to the soup. Reheat if necessary and serve..
My girlfriend just told me to take it away. I make three soups, including comforting Beef Barley Soup," writes Louise Laplante of Hanmer, Ontario. Only thing I did different was I couldn't find quick-cooking barley, so I used regular and added it at the beginning with all of the veggies. Quick-cooking barley and sirloin help get this beef-and-barley soup on the table in a snap–and it doubles easily. Their mushroom barley soup was a comfort food staple for me when I was living in the dorms without access This healthy mushroom barley soup is the perfect meatless recipe for a cold or rainy day!