Cheese and caramelised onion tart. Or pizza as it was called, brought by Ann's friends Jeff and Marilyn. I played a bit with the recipe, rolling the dough out more thinly, reducing the amount of onions and cheese, so the serving pieces would be easier to hold and work better as appetizers. How to caramelize onions: Peel, halve and slice the onions.
Ingredients of Cheese and caramelised onion tart
- You need of Pastry.
- You need 1 large of egg.
- Prepare 250 grams of plain flour.
- Prepare 125 grams of cold butter.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 140 grams of strong cheddar.
- It’s 300 ml of milk.
- You need 5 medium of onion.
- Prepare 3 large of egg.
- You need 2 of thyme sprigs.
Let cool slightly, then cut into squares and serve. This French-inspired Caramelized Onion Tart is bursting with flavor from juicy, caramelised onions, savory herbs, and sharp cheddar cheese. It's simple to make with a homemade shortcut pastry, and pretty enough to serve at a dinner party. Every time we go to one of the patisseries near our house for.
Cheese and caramelised onion tart instructions
- Quickly combine flour and butter in a food processor.
- add egg and small dash of cold water.
- process quickly until mixture resembles moist breadcrumbs.
- form pastry into a single shape, cover with cling film and chill in fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- in a large pan slowly cook down onions with a pinch of salt and dash of olive oil until soft and browninh (15-20 mins) and set aside.
- add thyme leaves to the onions 5 mins before they are done – reserving a few for the top.
- grease large (see pic) flan/tart dish with butter.
- roll out pastry to cover flan/tart dish- pressing down into fluted edges.
- prick base all over with fork, cover with baking beans (or coins) and blind-bake for 10-15 mins until pastry is lightly cooked and base is dry.
- remove case from oven, spread onions over the base.
- combine half of the cheese, 3 eggs and the milk in a jug- beat well.
- pour mixture over the onions.
- sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tart and garnish with remaining thyme leaves.
- bake for 30-40 mins until set and top is browning (see pic).
- Serve warm with cherry tomatoes and green salad dressed with good balsamic vinegar.
A tart topped with sweet caramelized onions and creamy goat cheese is cut into cocktail-friendly pieces. Place olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Cut the ends off the onions and slice in half, end to end. Thaw the puff pastry overnight in the refrigerator. Working with one sheet at a time, roll out.